St. Pius was officially declared a parish December 28, 1954. During 1955, the parish church and school were built. In the fall of 1956, St. Pius X Parish School was opened.
The Pastor of the parish was Fr. O'Neill and the school was staffed by Sisters of St. Francis Mary Immaculate based in Joliet. Sister Sheila was the first principal. St. Pius started out with grades one through six. The classes were held in what is today the primary wing of the school. Each year another grade was added. So today what is known as the O'Neill and Wagner Rooms were the seventh and eighth grade classrooms. Most of the teachers were Sisters with the help of a few lay teachers. The Sisters lived in the building that is the Parish Office today.
The school grew rapidly, because many families were moving to the suburbs at that time. From the beginning, St. Pius has had a reputation of academic excellence and for producing outstanding Catholic leaders.