In fall 2012 more than 100 St. Pius X parishioners, under the guidance of Pastor, Fr. George Zieba, CR, assembled to develop a new Parish Pastoral Plan: Our Vision of Hope. Participants worked collectively to identify goals and objectives that would support the seven elements of parish life: Worship, Service, Community, Leadership, Word, Evangelization and Stewardship. A detailed report of the outcome of the Assembly was presented to the parish the following March.
The new Pastoral Plan which follows has already renewed the vitality of parish ministries; it is intended to serve as a living document that influences parish life over the next several years.
WORSHIP – Includes all components of worship and the fostering of individual spiritual growth
- Promote increased Mass attendance.
- Establish a monthly Sunday evening teen Mass in combination with other parishes.
- Baptisms at 11:30 Mass – establish the option to have Baptism either during Mass or on Sunday afternoon.
- Periodically assess the spiritual needs of parishioners by conducting a survey.
- Designate one Mass per month as a family Mass involving youth and families to plan the music, prayers of the faithful, presentation of gifts, etc.
- Examine the length of the Mass to address parishioners’ concerns.
- Establish periodic Days of Recollection.
SERVICE – Includes all parish work directed at advancing all social concerns in the wider world, nation and community
- Remind all the faithful that we are called to serve.
- Explain corporal works of mercy.
- Explain the difference between justice and charity.
- Identify outreach opportunities inside and outside the parish.
- Publish a booklet with outreach opportunities.
- Establish outreach objectives for Lent, in addition to sacrifice.
COMMUNITY – Includes the sense of belonging of all members, friendly, welcoming and outreach to parishioners to involve and include them in parish life
- Interact with other parishes to grow as a uniform Catholic Community
- Communicate with other parishes regarding addressing the needs of our Catholic Community.
- Cross promote parish events.
- Form small faith communities similar to “Renew 2000” groups.
- Welcome visitors at all Masses especially Holiday and Summer Masses.
- Reach out to all segments of our faith community to promote inclusiveness in all aspects of parish life.
- Solicit input from parishioners to discover types of programs that appeal to them.
- Educate parishioners about using our parish website.
LEADERSHIP – Includes the leadership of the Pastor, Pastoral and School Staff, and Ministries. It involves the vision, planning for the future, and evaluating the success of parish efforts
*The leadership of Pastor, Pastoral and School Staff was not addressed.
- Develop and promote existing and new leaders, inclusive of teens, young adults, families, etc.
- Identify successors for all parish ministries.
- Establish leadership training within each ministry.
- Make leadership opportunities known within our community.
- Build youth leadership opportunities in existing ministries.
- Hold quarterly leadership meetings.
- Profile parish leadership in the bulletin, on our website and at Masses.
- Solicit input from parishioners to identify concerns about parish life; perhaps through the use of a suggestion box.
WORD – Refers to the spiritual formation in the parish, and includes explaining, informing and forming parishioners of all ages in Scripture, Church Teaching and Tradition
- Research and promote already existing diocesan programs.
- Provide educational opportunities to parishioners about reverence, service and worship.
- Schedule session(s) explaining the various parts of the Mass to children enrolled in our school, in our Faith Formation classes and the parish at large.
- Create a forum for young adults (approx. 18-30 years of age) to explore scripture, and increase their understanding of our faith.
- Develop a Young Adult ministry.
- Sponsor several activities within a year.
- 3. Develop faith formation programs for adults.
- Establish daytime programs for Seniors and Parents.
- Identify sustainable programs that appeal to parishioners.
- Establish periodic opportunities for marriage enrichment programs
EVANGELIZATION – Includes all efforts to witness to the Gospel especially to the un-churched and non-practicing Catholics
- Develop ways to attract new parishioners.
- Raise our profile by developing programs that are attractive to the community at large and invite them to attend/participate.
- Promote existing programs (press releases).
- Use technology to a greater degree.
- Take a parish census.
- Educate ourselves about successful methods of evangelization employed by other parishes and churches.
STEWARDSHIP – Involves challenging parishioners to share their time, talent and treasure with the parish
- Educate parishioners about the effective use of their treasure and areas of specific need.
- Demonstrate and educate, in a variety of approaches the rationale for expenditures.
- Publish more detailed financial info quarterly.
- Seek tuition reimbursement from parishes whose own parish children attend St. Pius X School.
- Educate parishioners about our existing ministries and their mission.
- Speak at Masses for recruiting and education of parishioners.
- Encourage ministry members to recruit additional members.
- Encourage “Friendship Sunday” host to provide information about their ministry.
- Promote cross-ministry cooperation and communication.
- To continue to expand and follow up with “Time and Talent” Appeal.
- Increase the use of electronic communication.
- Encourage Youth to participate in ministries and planning.
- Acknowledge volunteers contributions to parish life.