St. Pius X Parish was founded in 1954 and now, more than six decades later, we continue to grow and spread the good news of the Lord while serving the residents of Lombard, Villa Park and the surrounding communities. Our rich history has been a journey of faith! Don’t forget to check out our St. Pius X History Photo Gallery to see some great images the chronicle the history of our Parish!
December 28, 1954
St. Pius X Church is established by Bishop McNamara, the first Bishop of the Joliet Diocese.
January 30, 1955
Founding Pastor Rev. Edmund O’Neill celebrates first Mass at Jackson Jr. High School in Villa Park. Sunday Mass is celebrated there for 19 months.
August 28, 1955
Groundbreaking for the church and school.
December 4, 1955
Cornerstone is laid proclaiming the motto of Pope Pius X, “Restore all things in Christ.”
Pastor moves into new rectory located at Madison Street and Westmore Avenue.
Construction is started on convent, which will house eight sisters.
September 4, 1956
First Mass celebrated in new church.
St. Pius X School opens with 276 students in grades 1 through 6.
April 28, 1957
Solemn Blessing of Church and School.
Two-story addition to school completed.
June 19, 1964
First Pastor, Rev. Edmund O’Neill, dies while preparing for Mass.
Monsignor Joseph Wagner is appointed second Pastor.
Electronic Amplified Bells are added for the 10th Annuversary Celebration, in memory of Rev. O’Neill.
Groundbreaking and completion of Social Center.
Convent converted to Rectory and Parish Office
May 31, 1974
Installation of the National Shrine of Mary Immaculate Queen.
July 31, 1976
Rev. Shimanek becomes the third Pastor, after Monsignor Wagner is reassigned to a smaller parish, following an extended illness.
December 28, 1979
25th Anniversary Celebration.
Rev. Mr. Richard Nowak is ordained first Deacon at St. Pius X Church.
Stained glass windows are added as part of the 30th Anniversary Celebration.
Plans are contracted and approved for a complete renovation of the church. Masses are held in Social Center during rebuilding.
October 23, 1988
Renovated church is rededicated.
Rev. Shimanek retires after celebrating 13 years as Pastor, 35 years as a priest and his 70th birthday.
Rev. Dennis Settles appointed as fourth Pastor.
Rev. Donald Kocher appointed fifth Pastor, replacing Rev. Settles who is assigned to a parish in Kankakee.
Rev. Herb Essig is named sixth Pastor of St. Pius X Church, replacing Rev. Kocher.
The beginning of Friendship Sunday Weekends.
Parish Improvement Team formed and Parish Master Plan is developed.
Short-term projects begin to repair, enhance and maintain existing campus buildings.
Start of monthly Golden Touch envelope program to finance the cost of parish repair projects. E-Share program, or electronic giving, is instituted, which has brought stability to the parish’s offerings.
April 13, 2002
Sr. Pauline Schutz, Pastoral Minister, honored by St. Pius X community for her 50 years of religious profession with the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate and 25 years of service to St. Pius X Parish. A Mass in her honor is celebrated by Francis Cardinal George.
October 27, 2002
“Celebration of Light” – through a celebration of music, prayer and light, new lights in the church are turned on for the first time.
April 24, 2004
First regularly scheduled Mass in the Spanish language is celebrated by Rev. Richard Barrett. The Hispanic Ministry celebrates a Spanish Mass every Saturday evening at 7 p.m. in the church.
As a result of parishioner, ministry and organizational growth, the parish’s physical space becomes significantly constrained. Planning begins to address the possibilities for the next 50 years.
Capital Campaign begins to accomodate the parish’s next 50 years of parishioner, ministry, and organization growth.
Groundbreaking for the new Rectory takes place.
Rev. Thomas Corbino appointed seventh Pastor, replacing Rev. Essig who is assigned to a parish in Bolingbrook.
Renovation of Church worship space and adjacent areas
Rev. George Zieba, C.R. appointed eighth pastor and installed on June 23, 2012 by the Most Reverend R. Daniel Conlon, Bishop of Joliet. Father Zieba replaced Father Corbino who resigned from parish ministry. Father George is a member of the religious community of the Congregation of the Resurrection.
The Hispanic Ministry celebrates its tenth anniversary.
Fortieth Anniversary of the installation of the National Shrine of Mary Immaculate, Queen of the Universe
Commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the death of our patron, Pope St. Pius X
Memory Path and Garden dedicated.
60th Anniversary Year of the Founding of St. Pius X Parish
January 25, 2015
The 60th anniversary of the founding of our parish was celebrated at Mass with Bishop Joseph M. Siegel of the Diocese of Joliet presiding.
February 7, 2015
Black and Gold Dinner Dance was held to celebrate the 60th anniversary of our parish.
February 8, 2015
The parish celebrated the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Order of the Franciscan Sisters of Joliet, and their 60 years of service to our faith community.
Completion of the build out of new restrooms adjacent to Shepherds’ Hall.
May 18-21, 2016
First Parish Carnival.
Security system installed throughout parish campus.
Installed improved lighting in north and east parking lots. Installed new windows in Adoration Prayer Chapel, and Martha and Mary Rooms.